THANK YOU FOR DONATING TO THE CAN’T BEAT US CAMPAIGN!
Your donation will have a direct impact on the lives of over 550 athletes with intellectual disabilities who participate in Special Olympics Edmonton programs. Meet some of our athletes who will benefit from your donation.
Madison is 21 years old and has been competing in Special Olympics programs for 11 years! Way long ago, in pre-pandemic times, she was involved in soccer and golf and hopes to get back to it as soon as programs resume!
Madison and her family moved to Alberta from Ontario in 2016. Madison lives with her mom, dad, and younger brother Kennedy (don’t tell her mom, but according to Madison she’s the boss of the house and does a great job!) As a family, they love to go on vacations, hike, and take pictures of wildlife! In their free time, they love to play games, watch movies and hang out together.
Special Olympics gives Madison the opportunity to meet new people, gain self-confidence, and keeps her healthy. She has many friends who she met through Special Olympics from both Alberta and Ontario!
3 Fun Facts About Madison
- She got a hole in one at the Banff Springs Golf Course on hole #8 (it’s a crazy story and includes wildlife and everything!)
- She won a bronze medal at the 2018 Provincial Winter Games in Calgary!
- Madison is a legitimate star! She was in an Avril Lavigne music video (FLY) that was made for the 2015 Special Olympics World Games in Los Angeles (autographs upon request)
Daelan is our resident busy body! When he is not working, playing sports, or traveling somewhere amazing, you can find him hanging out with his family. He is turning the big 3-0 this April and has a younger sister and older brother! He lives with a roommate in his very own condo he bought a few years ago (pretty awesome if you ask us).
He has been involved with Special Olympics for 18 years and in that time he has been involved in many sports. Most recently, before the pandemic, he was involved in the floor hockey and golf program. He cannot wait until in-person programs resume so he can get back to doing was he does best – playing sports!
Special Olympics has helped Daelan meet many new people and friends from all over Canada. In his travels around the province and country to compete in tournaments, he has met some life long friends. One of his favorite Special Olympics memories was when he competed in golf at the Special Olympics Canada National Summer Games in Hamilton Ontario. This was the first year golf was officially a Special Olympics sanctioned sport!
3 Fun Facts About Daelan
- He works at Safeway in the produce section
- He has traveled to many countries, and according to Daelan Switzerland is the coolest (we are jealous!)
- He is a pretty incredible golfer and has even gone to Mexico for a golf trip!
Neil has been involved with Special Olympics since he was 5 years old! He turned 42 in January so it’s safe to say he is a lifer! He has played almost every sport we have offered; from floor hockey to bocce, he has done it all!
Neil is a proud husband and father. He met his wife Rhona playing floor hockey. They have been married for 16 years and together have a beautiful daughter, Savanna who is 14 years old. As a family, they enjoy going for walks, watching movies, playing games, and spending time with their three cats Oreo, Scarlett, and Chole! (fun fact: Neil, Rhona, and Savanna are all Special Olympics athletes!)
Special Olympics has helped Neil gain a lot of self-confidence. Above and beyond sports, Special Olympics has given Neil many opportunities to grow and develop into the true leader that he is. He sits on the Athlete Leadership Council and does an amazing job at providing input and leadership in our community.
3 Fun Facts About Neil
- Neil is a computer whiz! He has built several fully functioning computers on his own from scratch!
- Neil has made several high profile speeches. He once spoke about his experience with Special Olympics in front of the entire Alberta Legislative body (amazing right?!)
- Neil has been the guest of honor at the 2018 Oilers Iron and Frost Gala and he got to meet Wayne Gretzky, Connor McDavid, and many more amazing players!