Sport plays an important role in the lives of many Canadians. Quality coaching is key to the positive sport experience for athletes. To ensure the consistent high-quality of our programs and to support the development of our coaches, we offer multiple training opportunities and online resources!
There are many great online resources available to coaches! Some of the top resources used by Special Olympics coaches across Canada have been complied into one user friendly list. To view this list, click HERE
We have pulled some top resources together developed both by Special Olympics and other organizations and arranged them by sport. To view sport specific coaching and program development resources, click HERE
Special Olympics Specific – Competition
This is a two day course that is designed for coaches interested in developing their athletes for competition and have aspirations to coach at the provincial and national level. The goals of the SOC Competition Sport Course are preparation for local, provincial, national, and international competitions with the primary focus on safety, fun, fitness, fundamentals, and performance as well as teaching the basic skills of the sport.
Following completion of all training, a coach can choose to become certified in the Competition – Introduction context sport specific through an evaluation process managed and coordinated by the generic National Sport Organizations (NSO) & Provincial Sport Organization (PSO).
A Trained SOC Competition Coach is expected to:
- Provide support to athletes in areas such as technical, physical tactical and mental preparation
- Coach in competition as well as in training
- Encourage an environment that is fun
- Coach may progress to various levels with their athletes or the coach may choose to work with athletes at a specific level
- Required for all coaches who wish to coach at National or International Games
To view upcoming Special Olympics courses, click HERE
These courses are hosted through the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) and sessions are focused on a specific sport. They are offered by the sport governing body and will provide coaches with technical information about their sport of choice. Special Olympics Edmonton supports coaches enrolling in these courses. Special Olympics Edmonton offers subsidized costs to coated who meeting the following requirements:
- Registered as a Special Olympics Edmonton volunteer in the sport of interest for at least one year
- Commits to coaching with Special Olympics Edmonton post course for at least one year
- Provides proof of completion of the NCCP course
For more information about NCCP programs and courses you may be interested in click HERE